Bill Nichols State Veterans Home
The Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs owns and governs Bill Nichols State Veterans Home. The Department also provides a Veterans Home Representative on site as the veterans' liaison required by federal law.
- 24-hour skilled nursing coverage
- Physician on call 24 hours
- Diverse activities available
- Physical therapy on site
- Occupational therapy on site
- Speech therapy on site
- Beauty and Barber services on site
- Daily housekeeping provided
- Laundry services provided
- Cable TV available
- Telephone service available
- Pharmacy services available
- Laboratory and X-ray services
- Podiatry services available
Applications may be obtained from the Veterans Service Office located in each county or by contacting the facility. Each facility has an admission committee, which reviews each application for approval.
Alabama Act 88-776 states that the Alabama State Department of Veterans Affairs shall establish and set conditions for admission and discharge of all people to and from State Homes.
- Be honorably discharged from the military with a minimum of 90 days of service, of which one day was during war time.
- Must meet the qualifications as set forth by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs criteria for skilled nursing care.
- Must have been a resident of the State of Alabama during the immediate past twelve months.
- Must have had a medical examination by a physician within 90 days of admission request and must show veteran does not have: medical or nursing care that the home is not equipped or staffed to provide, behavioral traits which may prove to be dangerous to the well being of the resident or others, or a diagnosis or confirmed history of mental illness or mental retardation.
- Other veterans who do not have wartime service may be admitted to the home on space availability.
VETERANS DAY: Bill Nichols vets honored as ‘heroes’ - 11/16/2015